Begun at the inception of our organization in 1997 at the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM market, our Chef at Market is our longest standing and most visible educational program. We invite local, regional and national chefs, restaurateurs, cookbook authors, educators, nutritionists and other notables in the culinary world to demonstrate and sample simple recipes that utilize seasonal and locally available market products. The program seeks to introduce new foods and to provide hands-on instruction on how to use market foods at home, as well as expose chefs and local businesses to our markets and our farmers in hopes of forging relationships. In 2015, there were over 100 demos across all FRESHFARM markets.
Interesting a doing a Chef at Market demo?
- The Chef at Market program is an EDUCATIONAL program, so first and foremost your role at the demo is to teach, via a cooking demonstration, using seasonal, local ingredients of your choosing. (NOTE: You can also demonstrate canning or preserving techniques rather than preparing a “dish.”)
- The aim is to utilize local and seasonal products and to make those the focus of your recipe. While we appreciate all you do back in your personal/professional kitchens, this is a time to focus on simple recipes using market ingredients that a market shopper/ home cook can replicate at home.
Choosing a Market for your Demonstration
FRESHFARM operates 14 producer-only farmers markets; nine in Washington, DC, three in Maryland, and two in Virginia. You can request whichever market you like, but keep in mind that we usually will assign you to the market most in need and/or geographically nearest to you/your business location.
Important questions for you to consider before signing up:
- What seasonal ingredient from market can I utilize?
- What simple home cook-friendly recipe will I demonstrate?
- Am I a good educator and speaker?