Have you noticed the new look of our website? The site reflects our growth as an organization that has led us to operate 11 producer-only farmers markets in DC, Maryland and Virginia, 5 programs and the many special educational and fundraising events we host throughout the year. It serves as a colorful showcase of our farmers markets and also highlights the work FRESHFARM Markets does for our neighborhood communities.
The first thing you’ll notice are the bright and cheerful colors, inspired by produce found at market. We’ve also added lots and lots of photos we’ve taken to showcase the beautiful and fresh products available at our markets. The photo at the top of the page, currently a carton of eggs, will change based on what’s in season. We’ve added new elements to help you make the most of your shopping experience including our interactive market maps and a product search tool.
Six important features and elements you’ll want to explore include:
1. FRESH Picked Blog: Updated by the FRESHFARM Markets staff on a regular basis, this blog is designed to give you a ‘behind the scenes’ look at our markets, programs, farmers and producers and more. You can stay up-to-date on the latest posts by subscribing via RSS feed and share your favorites through Twitter and Facebook.
2. A more robust Calendar with informative descriptions of each event that you can share via Facebook and Twitter. Just click on the name of the event on the calendar for more details or scroll down to read more.
3. Interactive Market Maps – On each market page, you’ll be able to take a virtual walk through the market via an interactive map labeled market map. Through the map you can find out when your favorite farmer or producer is going to be a market, their location in the market, and also read more information about them.
4. Product Search Tool – We’ve made it a no-brainer for you to shop based on what’s in season. Now you can find out which markets have certain products and the farmer/producer that is selling them through this easy-to-use search tool. Go to the specific market page you’re interested in and click on the purple button that says ‘find a product at our markets.’ Our farmers have had a direct hand in the creation of this high tech tool. All the products found are based on the profiles they create as part of our annual online application process.
5. Never quite know what to do with that ‘new to you’ type of kale or other ingredients you purchased at market? We have revamped our recipe search tool to make it easier for you to browse our database of over 10,000 recipes by what’s in season, ingredient or the chef who created it. Coming soon, you’ll be able to search by course so you can find recipes for an entire meal or just one dish. You’ll also be able to read up on all the chefs who have hosted cooking demos as part of our ‘Chef at Market’ series.
6. A robust Press Page that includes recent press releases, as well as an archive of releases going back to 2008, and news stories that feature FRESHFARM Markets.
Coming soon, we’ll also be posting the curriculum for our FoodPrints program so you can learn more about how first, third and fourth graders at Watkins Elementary School are involved in a very hands on approach to discovering the benefits of fresh, healthy foods grown in their very own edible, organic garden at school.
What do you think about the new site? We’d love to hear your feedback .
by Danielle Tergis, Communications Director, FRESHFARM Markets