It may not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of holiday shopping, but farmers markets can be a great place to find unique gifts while avoiding the crowds of the mall. Plus, you’re able to support local farmers and businesses.
Here are five items on my holiday shopping list this year:
1. Harmony Creek Soap. Using an old-fashioned cold process method to craft their soap in small batches, Harmony Creek Farm combines high quality olive, coconut or palm oils with various fragrances to make dozens of varieties of soap. Their soap is also good for the planet, containing no petroleum products or animal fats. They pre-wrap bars in decorative paper, which are perfect stocking stuffers or hostess gifts. They even make soap for dogs! My favorite soap? The Eucalyptus Mint.
Harmony Creek Farm, Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market.
2. A Subscription to Compost Cab: Give the gift of compost, minus the hassle. Compost Cab runs a weekly home compost collection service in the city. For $8/week for residential services, they’ll provide you (or your loved one) with a compost bin, instructions and a weekly pick up to make composting easy and convenient. Then they take your compostables to one of their nearby not-for-profit urban farm partners, where they’re transformed into the fertile soil needed to grow food in the city. Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market.
3. Solitude Wool Yarn: For the knitter in your family, Solitude Wool makes
and dyes some of the most beautiful sheep and alpaca yarn around all from animals raised on their farm or other farms in the Chesapeake Bay region.
Solitude Wool, Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market
4. Floradise Orchids: Floradise will be selling at the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market until the Sunday forecast drops below 40 degrees. Buy your orchid now as a gift for later.
5. Market Dollars: Market dollars are like gift certificates and can be used like cash at any FRESHFARM Market. They’re the perfect gift for the farmers market fan or local food lover who would prefer to buy their favorite products at market. To order, email email@example.com or call 202.362.8889.
~ Laura Genello, Markets and Program Manager